How Much Does an Acre of Land Cost Outside of Madison, Wisconsin
It’s time to build something brand new from the ground up. It’s time to build your dream home. Finding the perfect location is an important first step. Your lot is the one thing about your new home that will be completely permanent, so it is vital to pick the right location.
Our years of experience building dream homes in the surrounding areas of Madison, Wisconsin have uniquely positioned Conklin Construction Co. to speak about buying land to build a home in the area. We have been on a quest for just the right place with countless clients, and we love being part of the magic that begins when people stand in the space where we will build their dream home.
How much does an acre of land cost Outside of Madison, Wisconsin?
According to current Redfin listings, land in Wisconsin is relatively inexpensive, averaging about $10,000-$25,000 an acre. Properties quickly become rural outside of any major Wisconsin metropolis. Farmland, hunting land, and wooded, undeveloped property factor heavily into the calculation of this figure. We have built some gorgeous dream homes on wild, undeveloped acreage, and we love these projects, but the price per acre will be higher if you are in the market for a more suburban lot. Lots in new developments in greater Madison cost north of $120,000 for a quarter-acre lot.
How Much Land is an Acre?
The easiest way to visualize an acre is to picture a football field. An acre is slightly smaller, measuring 43,560 square feet, but this is an easy approximation. Not everyone has a football field-sized yard. Many suburban lots in greater Madison are fractions of an acre.
What questions should I ask when buying land?
1. What utilities are available nearby? Bringing utilities like gas, water, and electricity to your property will add to your cost. Many lots in new developments have some or all of this infrastructure already available and included in the list price.
2. How much will this cost to prepare for construction? Will you need to fill dirt? Clearing? Excavation?
3. Are there any surveys available? Information about boundaries and features is critical.
4. Are there any projects planned nearby? No one wants to buy a quiet retreat and end up next to a strip mall. Another way to determine the likelihood of high traffic additions to your area is to inquire about the zoning for your lot and surrounding areas.
5. What are the current taxes on the property? This is essential information to help you assess your costs.
How do I find land for sale?
There are many ways to find land for sale to build a house. Here are the main ways to find a lot to build your dream house:
- Start with your builder- Many builders work closely with realtors and have the inside scoop on available properties. Your builder may also be creating new developments with lots for sale. Living in a new development and being new at the same time as all of your neighbors has huge benefits!
- Take to the internet- Check out online listings with the range of national and local real estate listings in your area.
- Get gutsy- Some clients have succeeded in landing their dream land by noticing a vacant parcel and approaching the owner recorded in the location’s tax documents with an offer.
How do I get a loan to buy land?
Loans to buy lots for new construction work slightly differently than other home loans. Typically, these short-term loans are rolled into the mortgage cost with your construction loan once your home is complete. They tend to be higher-interest and possess more stringent criteria like construction loans. Many builders are very familiar with this process. They can help you assess your financing options and prepare the project-related paperwork to secure your loan or point you in the direction of a knowledgeable loan officer in your area.
Is Madison a good place to buy land?
We can do nothing about the winters, but the golden Wisconsin summers more than make up for the snow and ice. There’s something to be said for experiencing all the seasons. Enjoy everything a big university city like Madison has to offer and take advantage of the relatively low cost of living the midwest provides. Greater Madison offers idyllic suburban living, fantastic schools, convenient shopping, and tons of small-town character and amenities.
How Much Does Building a Custom Home Cost in Madison, WI?
We don’t mind talking about prices. We are confident about our process and the accuracy of our quotes, and we believe that price transparency helps the right customers find us. Here are the pricing tiers we discuss with prospective clients:
1)Base Home Construction-- $400 thousand Plus
Includes: 1500+ sq ft home with 9’ ceiling, 8’ basement ceilings, laminated floors, stock granite countertops, and stock cabinets. This estimate does not include landscaping or appliances.
2) Average Home Construction-- $490 thousand Plus
Includes: 1800+ sq ft home with 9’ ceilings, living room and master tray ceilings, 9’ basement ceilings, engineered wood floors in common areas, quartz countertops, semi-custom cabinets, stainless steel kitchen appliances, gas fireplace, deck, concrete driveway, and base landscaping.
3) High-End Home Construction-- $675 thousand plus
Includes: 2200+ sq ft home with 10’ ceilings, 9’ basement ceilings, finished in-place hardwood floors in common areas, high-end quartz countertops, custom cabinets, high-end appliances, upgraded landscaping, concrete driveway, screen porch, and accent walls.
Let us make the process simple
We'd love to talk to you if you’re looking for a partner to build your dream home in Madison, WI. We can help you find the land you’re looking for and then build your dream home on it. Contact us today to start the conversation that ends in your beautiful new home.