What to consider when designing the perfect owners' suite bathroom
Design is one of the most exciting parts of building a custom home. Picking layout, materials, and features build the bridge between your dream home and reality. Many people have big plans for their kitchen and hopes as high as cathedral ceilings for their common living spaces. Your dreams for your owners’ suite bathroom should be just as lofty. Ensure your custom build gets every detail of your primary suite right for you by spending thoughtful time during design.
Conklin Construction Company designs and builds gorgeous custom homes in the suburbs of Madison Wisconsin. Partnering with our neighbors to create the perfect backdrop for their everyday lives has taught us a lot about designing an ideal owner’s bathroom. We’re happy to share our bathroom design know-how so that you consider every angle and get the most from the most personal space in your new place.
What’s The Primary Suite in a house?
A primary suite is a bedroom and adjoining bathroom. Some primary suites also include a sitting area or private egress to an outdoor living space. These areas used to be called master suites, and we hope you can understand why the industry has recently updated the term. We also call them owner’s suites. These are equivalent terms.
Where to Place Your Primary Suite
Designing your own bathroom can be overwhelming and exciting. Some clients haven’t given much thought to their bathroom layout, whereas others walk around their owner’s bathroom floor plans in their mind's eye. The perfect layout for a primary suite starts with its placement. Where you place your primary suite depends on your goals and the way you plan to use it.
- Upstairs Primary Suite- An owner’s suite on the second story provides privacy and intimacy. It’s less likely that an unfamiliar guest will wander into your most personal spaces.
- Downstairs Primary Suite- If you are planning to stay in your home as you age, consider a first-floor owner’s suite. If stairs become increasingly difficult life remains seamless.
- Primary Suites for Privacy- Clients with older children or planning multi-generational living opt to place the primary suite on its own and build other bedrooms elsewhere to afford everyone a little peace and quiet.
- Primary Suites for Family Living- Grouping the primary suite with other bedrooms in your layout keeps parents close by for middle-of-the-night visits to care for younger kids.
Owner’s Suite Bathroom Layouts
The owner’s suite is usually the biggest bathroom in the home. This gives you the opportunity to build a more luxurious space with more features. When designing the layout for your primary suite, make the most of the opportunity.
- Leave the sink accessible- Leave the sink available when the toilet is occupied by bringing it out into a separate space.
- Walk-in closet off the bathroom- Keep your closet personal by attaching it to your primary suite bathroom.
- Built-ins- Add twice as much storage as you think you’ll need and shelving options to show off your style.
Owner’s Suite Elements to Include in Your Custom Home
Every owner’s suite needs most of these features to be fully equipped for daily use.
- Walk-in shower- Standing shower design has come a long way. Consider a frameless glass shower, multiple shower stations, a shower bench, or a mosaic tile shower floor for a luxurious experience. Building a barrier-free walk-in shower for your owner’s suite is a great investment in future accessibility.
- Vanity- Many awesome primary suites include multiple levels and locations of workspace. A standard vanity height is 30 or 32 inches, but this may not suit every task. Be sure to include a double sink so that each partner has a personal bathroom domain.
- Toilet- Give the toilet ample room. You need about 32 inches of space between a toilet and any other sanitary fixtures in your bathroom design. Consider placing the toilet in its own water closet for privacy and accessibility.
- Windows- Your owner’s suite needs natural light. Consider skylights or clerestory windows to preserve privacy and let in the sun.
- Tub- A soaker tub is a crowning stable for any owner’s suite. Build your budget tub kits elsewhere in your home.
Selecting Materials for Your Custom Owner’s Bathroom
Your materials bring your design to life. There are beautiful bathroom material options for every budget.
- Tile- Bathrooms are excellent places for tile. Because they are made to get wet, ceramic and porcelain tiles are perfect for your primary suite. Consider a tile accent wall or tile behind the vanity to bring in your style.
- Countertops- Vanity countertops for your luxury remodel could include quartz or laminate and provide sleek surfaces.
- Flooring- Pick a rich ceramic tile or luxury vinyl plank and consider including heated flooring in your owner’s suite.
- Fixtures- Ensure every area is illuminated. Mix statement lights with more functional lighting to provide options for every mood.
- Details- Finish with the perfect knobs and pulls to tie in your look.
Your Perfect Owner’s Suite is Part of Your New Custom Home in Madison, WI
We would love to build your perfect owner’s suite as part of your custom home in Cottage Grove, Deforest, Windsor, Waunakee, Sun Prairie, and the surrounding areas of Greater Madison, WI.
Conklin Construction Co is looking forward to hearing more about your project. Reach out today to start the conversation.